Monday, April 25, 2016

Palominos Galore!



Well, last Saturday was first day of trout and it was a good one.  Natalie had never caught a trout before, so it was a nice surprise that she caught not one, but her limit of five in just a couple hours, including a 19 1/2-inch palomino.

We were fishing up near camp in Potter County.  I've opened up on this same pool for about six years in a row now.  Some years the water has been high and cold and the fish didn't cooperate that well.  It was a struggle to catch enough for a fish fry for one let alone a limit of trout.  Only one year (2011, I believe) did I absolutely kill the fish.  That year, I caught my limit in about 8 casts, and four of those fish were palominos ranging in size from 16-19 inches.  I never thought I'd see another first day like that ever again, simply for the fact that I landed so many big palominos.  I was wrong.  Lightning can strike twice.

This year, limiting was a little more of a challenge and took about an hour.  Natalie had her limit in a little over two hours.  I caught three palominos and she caught two -- five between us!  My biggest was 17 inches.





Unfortunately I've been sick all week...lingering effects of the pneumonia that hospitalized me for four days back in December.  As soon as this clears, though, I'm looking forward to walking the streams again, getting some clean, fresh air in these scarred up lungs of mine, and enjoying some time on the water.  Trout season is already off to a great start.  I have a feeling it will keep getting better.

No comments:

Post a Comment